Thursday, March 1, 2012

In Time

(Since this is my first topic post let me tell anyone reading that i will state my topics as i write so that if you hate movies or sports or whatever you can skip to the shit you like.)  Movies: So last night i watched that movie In Time starring Justin Timberlake that looked about as absurd as anything I have ever seen in my life based on the trailers.  I decided to give it a chance though because of two things.  One is that, despite what i feel like should be my better judgement, I think Justin Timberlake is a pretty darn good actor.  The other is that it was written and directed by the same guy who did both on Gattica and wrote The Truman Show, which are both big big winners in my book.  This movie, however, as I try to digest it is harder on my mental tract.  It was better than I thought it would be but not as good as it could have been.  I am actually going to start with the latter.  The concept as portrayed in the ads was that people start using time as currency at the age of 25 and stop aging as well.  Justin Timberlake runs out of time and then it is pretty people in suits and dresses running around with guns.  The actual idea was smarter than that.  It is really an occupy movie.  The tagline that gets used a few times in the movie is, "Many have to die while a few can be immortal."  This idea gets translated into the idea that those "few" are hoarding their time by upping the price on all aspects of life while lowering the amount of time that people get paid for a days work.  THAT IS A GREAT ANALOGY.  Don't people always say time is money. Now it really is and we can see how the 1% are stealing our lives.  This totally interesting and enthralling concept however is clouded by the fact that, unlike when Andrew Niccol made Gattica, he wanted to make some money as well.  The idea is covered up and hidden by flashy action and the prettiest cast this side of the CW.  It also showed that without a world class actor (i.e. Jesse Eisenberg, Mila Kunis) to play off of, Justin Timberlake is a work in progress.  Despite my being kind of critical, I did enjoy this movie.  It was fun and held my interest and Timberlake was good enough.  But when you sacrifice an idea for action, like I said, better than I thought it would be but not as good (or maybe now that I think about, as interesting) as it could have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment