Thursday, March 15, 2012

lets dance

I just wanted to welcome the world (a day late) to that time of the year when office pools go crazy and the word "bracketology" is actually part of the lexicon.  Its March!  Now I'm not going to go into the details of my predictions.  This is for two reasons.  One is I don't think I can rationally justify all of my picks.  The other reason is that this just seems tedious.  I will highlight a few things though.
This seems like a season for rematches and meaningful games.  Duke and UNLV could meet in the tournament for the first time since their back to back finals appearances.  Thanks to a region based out of St. Louis, Kansas has a remarkable chance to get to the Final Four.  This would create an opportunity to play in the championship against the two teams who seem to be overwhelming favorites in the south and west regions; Missouri and Kentucky.  Either way the storylines are a writers dream.  You have a finals rematch of Calipari and Self from 2008 when the Jayhawks beat Memphis.  The other matchup, Kansas vs. Missouri, would be one last border war before The Tigers leave the Big 12 and join the SEC.
Not only do these rematches and rivalries sound fun but I have to admit that I am a sucker for those totally insane, over the top, melodramatic speeches that get made before games.  What can I say, it always pumps me up for a game.
I hope to do a very detailed recap of the tournament after the dust settles on what I'm will be a very interesting month.  Regardless of who wins and loses I can promise a couple of things.  A star will be born, a couple of upsets will happen, and the surest bet of all is that my bracket and the real one won't even remotely resemble each other.  I think I have it down every year.  I don't.  That's why my recap will be better than this.  Also, if you are looking for a fun way to spice up your office pool, check out the rules for the one done at Grantland.

No comments:

Post a Comment