Sunday, March 11, 2012

RGIII and The Skins


football:  I really don't know what to do but shake my head.  The Washington Redskins just trade their 2012 first and second round picks AND their 2013 AND 2014 first round picks for the St. Louis Rams first round pick this year (number 2 overall).  This gives them a lock on getting Robert Griffin III.  They need him.  The Redskins have been without a franchise quarterback for as long as i can remember.  But isn't this the same problem the Redskins go through every year only instead of overpaying for older players they are giving up way to much for the future.
Don't get me wrong, I am on the RGIII bus.  I think he is a great talent and athlete who will have a real shot at success no matter where he plays.  But honestly, is any, and I mean ANY player (I can't believe how many gratuitous capital letters i have used already) is worth all that without playing a single game.  Not to mention the fact that Washington needs more than just a quarterback.  RGIII is going to be great, I have no doubt about that.  But tts not like the Redskins have a great defense or a solid running game or a go to wide receiver (besides the aging Santana Moss). Those picks they just gave up for a single player are the team they could build.  This team needs help everywhere.  Griffin will need help.  And thanks to this trade he will be hard pressed to get any.
I can't even get into the details of this.  It is too mind blowing.  Too typical of a franchise that has become nothing short of a total failure under its current ownership.  Shanahan needs a good team.  His record proves that.  No quarterback can win with nothing around him.  Not even one as talented as Griffin.  It is the Redskins way of doing things.  Only this time they did it with someone young.  Totally overpay!  All they have done is stuck RGIII on a team that is going to be bad because they can't draft and develop young talent and have no vertrans  he can rely on.  They can't do this because they gave it away via draft picks to the Rams.
Ok, the more I am writing the more mad I get.  Let me just get this last bit out.  Dan Snyder you continue to drive a team that may have a future into sucking by overspending in what is officially every possible way.  Rams and Jeff Fischer, you now have enough first and second round draft picks to be not just but good but great in a couple of years if you use them wisely (which under Fischer I believe they will).
Go Rams!  I miss the greatest show on turf.
Go Fischer!  I have always respected you as a winner and a man who coaches a respectable group of hard working young men.
Sorry Mike Shanahan.  I totally respect you and feel sorry for you that you took a job with the Redskins.
Sorry Washington D.C.  Dan Snyder continues to ruin your football teams future.

No comments:

Post a Comment